Domestic Violence

If you have, or are experiencing domestic violence then getting help is perhaps the most important thing you can do.

In an emergency, call 999. If it is not an emergency, you could contact your local police station and discuss your situation with them.

You can also anonymously call one of the helplines listed below:

English National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247

Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327

Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 80 10 800

Broken Rainbow Helpline (for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people): 0300 999 5428

Respect (for people who are abusive to partners): 0845 122 8609

Forced Marriage Unit: 020 7088 0151

You can also visit GOV.UK for more help and advice.

Sexual offences

Any sexual contact without your consent is sexual assault and is a crime.

Contacting the police will start the process of investigating your attacker. The police officer’s priority is safeguarding you.

If you choose to support a police investigation you will be supported every step along the way.

It doesn’t matter how long ago you were assaulted, police still want to hear what happened.

If you don’t feel ready to go to the police, Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) provide medical care and support and can also gather forensic evidence.

Find your nearest SARC for further information on reporting an offence.

Support for victims of crime

The Victims' Code

If you've been a victim of crime, you are entitled to certain information and support from criminal justice agencies such as the police and the courts.

The Victims' Code explains what you can expect from criminal justice agencies from the moment you report a crime to what happens after a trial.

The Victims' Code is available at GOV.UK.

National and local support

Victim support organisations can offer valuable help if you have been the victim of a crime. They can help you when you report a crime, when you go to court and after a trial.

Support these organisations can offer includes:

  • emotional support - for example, coping with the after-effects of crime
  • practical help like getting locks changed or help filling in forms for insurance and compensation claims
  • advice on dealing with the police
  • help finding a counsellor

You can contact these groups even if the crime happened a long time ago or you haven't reported it to the police.

Victim support organisations, such as charities, are not covered by the Victims' Code, which focuses on making sure criminal justice agencies – such as the police and the courts – give victims the service they are entitled to.

Support offered by victim support organisations can be very valuable, led by individuals who are trained to help victims of crime. The support can be very specialist, for example those set up especially to help victims of rape or those which exist to support children.

You can search for local victims' services in your area.

From October 2014, your police and crime commissioner will be responsible for providing local victims' services in your area. More information about the work that they are doing to support victims will be found on their websites.