Reporting crimes and incidents

What is a crime?

A crime is a deliberate act that causes physical or psychological harm, damage to or loss of property, and is against the law. 

There are lots of different types of crime and nearly everyone will experience a crime at some point in their lives. It affects people from all backgrounds, locations and ages. 

If you feel that you've been affected by crime in any way please contact us, even if you're not sure the incident or event was a crime. 

Visit Victim Support to:

  • learn more about the different types of crime and help available
  • read the stories of some of the people they've supported

Crime types

Crime data is broken down into ‘major’ and ‘minor’ crime types. See a breakdown of what the major types are and the minor types they include below. 

Burglary is the theft, or attempted theft, from a premises where access is not authorised.

Damage to a premises that appears to have been caused by a person attempting to enter to commit a burglary, is also counted as burglary.

Residential and commercial burglaries are distinguished by the function of the building.

Minor types include:

  • Burglary in a dwelling
  • Burglary in other buildings

Where property is intentionally destroyed or damaged, not necessarily to gain entry to premises or a vehicle.

Minor types include:

  • Criminal damage to dwelling
  • Criminal damage to motor vehicle
  • Criminal damage to other building
  • Other criminal damage

Possession, consumption, supply of or the intent to supply illegal drugs.

Minor types include:

  • Drug trafficking
  • Possession of drugs
  • Other drugs

Fraud is an intentional deception in most occasions for monetary gain; whereas forgery is the action of creating an exact replica of an object with the intention of deception.

Minor types include:

  • Other fraud and forgery

This is a broad category containing offences that are notifiable to the Home Office.

Minor types include:

  • Going equipped
  • Other notifiable offences

Theft with the use of force or a threat of force. Both personal and commercial robbery are included. Snatch theft is not included.

Minor types include:

  • Business property
  • Personal property

A broad category of sexual offences, including Indecent Assault and Unlawful (under age) Sexual Intercourse.

Other types include:

  • Sexual assault
  • Rape
  • Indecent exposure

Theft from a person, motor vehicle, bikes, residential or non-residential property and more. Plus the storage, transport or attempted resale of property after a theft has occurred.

Minor types include:

  • Handling stolen goods
  • Motor vehicle interference and tampering
  • Other theft
  • Theft from motor vehicle
  • Theft from shops
  • Theft person
  • Theft/taking of motor vehicle
  • Theft/taking of pedal cycle

Includes a range of offences from minor offences such as harassment and common assault, to serious offences such as murder, actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm.

Minor types include:

  • Assault with injury
  • Common assault
  • Harassment
  • Murder (homicide)
  • Offensive weapon
  • Other violence
  • Wounding/GBH


This is a broad category of types not covered in other categories. They range from weapon-related crimes to hate crimes and robbery.

Minor types include:

  • Gun crime
  • Motor vehicle crime
  • Domestic crime
  • Racist and religious hate crime
  • Homophobic crime
  • Anti-semitic crime
  • Islamophobic crime
  • Most serious violence
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • MOPAC7
  • Robbery of mobile phone
  • Violence with injury
  • LBW discharges
  • Knife crime
  • KIV

Other things you can report

Anti-social behaviour is defined as someone acting in a manner that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people not living in the same household as the perpetrator. 

There are different ways to report anti-social behaviour based on the nature of the behaviour. 

What to report to your local policing team:

  • if the anti-social beahviour is affecting your quality of life or making you fear for your safety or the safety of others

How to report to your local policing team:

What to report to your landlord:

  • if you and your neighbours are having issues in your property or building and are tenants of a social landlord [the council or a housing association] you can report the issue to your landlord

What to report to the council:

You can report a fraud to Action Fraud any time of the day or night using their online fraud reporting tool or by calling 0300 123 2040.

Call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

Or report your concerns to them online. The Anti-Terrorist Hotline reporting tool is managed by the Met police.